The EMDG Scheme provides a reimbursement of up to $150,000 based on 50% of your eligible export marketing costs, provided you are the principle in the transaction. It is not a requirement that the good be produced in Australia or even dispatched from Australia. Goods produced overseas and shipped directly to a foreign country can comply for EMDG purposes! Similarly goods and services provided in Australia to tourist are also eligible exports and may be eligible for a grant. International patent and trademark expenses are also claimable.
First time claims can include eligible expenses for the last 2 financial years with only the one deductible of $5,000.
The Export Market Development Grant Scheme (EMDG) is designed to assist businesses develop export markets. Businesses that can demonstrate a realistic chance of export success are reimbursed up to 50% of their eligible export promotional expenses to a maximum of $150,000 pa.
Eligibility is limited to Australian-based enterprises that:
- are promoting the export of goods, services, intellectual property or know-how to the benefit of the Australian economy;
- spend at least $15,000 on eligible export promotion per annum (first-time applicants can combine two years’ expenses to meet the $15,000 threshold); and
- have total business turnover of less than $50 million in the grant year.
- overseas representation;
- marketing consultants
- overseas market visits;
- free samples;
- trade fairs, public relations, seminars, international forums, private exhibitions and in store promotions.
- promotional material and advertising
- overseas buyers visits
- patents and trademarks
The main exclusions include:
- sales related expenses;
- capital costs;
- reimbursed expenses; and
- costs related to trade with New Zealand, North Korea and Iran.
- the GST component of incurred expenses cannot be claimed under EMDG.
More [pageparent] Grants
- Advanced Development and Marketing Fund
- Australian Small Scale Offerings Board (ASSOB)
- Duty Drawback Scheme
- Entrepreneurs’ Infrastructure Programme
- Export Finance Insurance Corporation (EFIC)
- Venture Capital Limited Partnerships Program (VCLP)